Reflective Journal

Introduction

Learning can be defined in many ways. In psychology, it is defined as the process by which a relatively lasting change in potential behavior occurs as a result of practice or experience. Learning is actually both a product and a process. It is a product as it can lead to a change of behavior; like an end product of a process. For most theorists, learning is centered on gaining knowledge or ability through the use of experience ( 1999).

 

In this reflective journal assessment, my previous and current learning experiences and strategies will be described and assessed. The learning style that represents these learning experiences will also be identified. Furthermore, personal standards and preferences in relation to learning will also be discussed.

 

Learning Experience: Before and Now           

During my early years of school, I was not able to observe efficient learning practices. I usually just depend on reading what is stated in books and in the learning materials provided; I sometimes borrow the notes of my other classmates to catch up with what the instructors have discussed. This had been an unsuccessful learning experience since I find it difficult to understand our topics or lessons. The explanations in some of our books were too complicated and the notes I borrowed are difficult to comprehend as I was not the one who wrote them. Thus, at times, I find it difficult to apply what I’ve learned to practical examinations.

 

            However, over time, I was able to develop my own learning techniques that helped me become a better learner. In order to address my unsuccessful learning experience, I realized that it would be best if I prepare my school notes myself. I order to do my note-taking strategy, I do advance reading of the books and materials given to us; I take down notes while reading these resources. This has been a helpful learning strategy for me as I could notes down the topics I have read in my own words and understanding.

 

I found that writing notes based on how the book has stated it is difficult for me since I cannot understand some of the words used or the discussion is too complicated. By making notes in my own understanding, it became easier for me to recall important terminologies or formula. This has been very helpful for me during exams especially in subject where I have to do some memorizations.

 

During class, having advance notes make it easier for me to understand what our instructors are discussing. Since most of the discussions are based on our books, I could just focus on listening rather than note-taking. Moreover, I could easily jot down additional information that our instructors mention. Most importantly, during exams, I could save the time of making rushed notes and book readings and just concentrate on the notes I have made. With this learning strategy, passing practical examinations had been less difficult for me. As I understand our lesson more with this technique, I learn the importance of these learnings and how I could apply them.

 

In addition to note-taking and doing some advance readings, I realized that getting information from other sources helps in my studies as well. It helps me obtain other information and even new updates related to our lessons. However, I found it difficult to do all the library work and scan every book relevant to my studies. This made the group study techniques helpful. I conduct this study strategy along with my classmates; here, we reserve a room in the library where we can check other books as well as share notes. This strategy was useful when quizzes or major examinations are coming.

 

Being able to prepare for these tests through group study allowed me to obtain good exam ratings. As each member of the group has read different books or materials, the member can discuss the contents of these materials with the rest of the group; this gives us more time to learn and less time searching for resources. This strategy taught me that being a wide-reader helps me to understand my lessons more as well as become more knowledgeable in certain subjects. 

 

When I was still attending middle school, I do not usually follow any study guidelines or schedules to make my school tasks organized. With this kind of practice, I usually find myself rushing to complete all required projects and requirements. This in turn made me less focused on studying for upcoming examinations. When I reached college, I realized that I have to do something with this problem considering that workloads in college are larger and more difficult. For this reason, I thought it would be best if I could make a daily schedule of all the school tasks I have to attend to. I have this organizer notebook with dates and spaces where I can list down all tasks that I have to do.

 

This had been especially useful when the term is about to end and we have to submit multiple requirements and examinations were approaching. By means of a daily schedule to follow, there had been fewer instances when I forget to do or attend an important school task or activity. I was also able to become more organized with this technique. The strategy encouraged me to do advance studies, readings or preparations for schoolwork; this allowed me to have some free time to do things other than school tasks.

 

With these current learning practices, I could say that there had been a number of differences on how I learn things. In general, I have become more organized in my studies in the sense that I am capable of determining my learning priorities and acting appropriately in order to achieve them. I have also become more interested in learning new and other things related to my subjects. Considering that my learning pattern had become more organized, I have more time to adapt other lessons. Unlike my previous learning practice where no specific learning plan was made, I am now able to allot more time to my other learning needs. The outcome of my learning had been better as well with these new learning practices.

 

In particular, I have become more capable of applying what I have learned to answering examinations and even practical matters. Having an organized learning plan also helped me to prevent submitting rushed projects and other requirements. Furthermore, adopting new learning practices also enabled me to identify the things that I am good at. Learning wise, I realized that I have the ability to do research and note important details that will help enhance my current knowledge. This in turn, was improved further through the learning strategies I have developed.

 

My Learning Style

Several theorists have noted that the learning styles of people tend to differ based on their learning behavior and practices. This has been stressed by ’s (1985) Experiential Learning Model (ELM). According this model, the learning cycle is made up of four modes of learning. These include concrete experience (CE), reflective observation (RO), abstract conceptualization (AC) and active experimentation (AE). These learning modes are placed at the ends of two interconnecting continua, forming quadrants. This then became the basis of  for his learning styles, which are derived from the combination of two learning modes.

 

These learning styles include the diverger (CE and RO), the converger (AC and AE), the assimilator (RO and AC) and the accommodator (AE and CE). Basically, the divergers prefer learning that involves imaginative problem-solving; convergers are more on practical solutions; assimilators prefer rational theory building; and accommodators are into hand-on experience.

 

Among ’s learning styles, my learning experience is characterized by the features of an assimilator.  (1993) stated that this learning style rely more on the use of logic and inductive reasoning to build theories. Assimilators are effective in understanding a wide range of information and organizing them into logical forms.

 

’s learning mode theory had been supported by . According to (1986), learning styles can be classified in accordance to how individuals prefer to learn. These styles include the activist, theorist, reflector and the pragmatist. The theorists describe reflectors as those who learn from activities while listening and observing. These are the individuals who prefer to be given the chance to gather and analyze the information first before acting or commenting; they tend to spend time to review the situation before developing a conclusion.

 

Based from the descriptions of the different learning styles as well as the experiences I had, I could say that I am more of an assimilator. As a learner, I tend to observe my surroundings, research for details and combine everything I have learned as a whole for application. This learning practice is patterned after the features of an assimilator who learns through perception.

 

 (1988) described this learning mode further by stating that assimilators are observers who formulate ideas by incorporating their observations into logical theories.  (1985) noted that assimilators are learners who analyze situations and ideas through their different angles in order for them to form opinions. They have the fondness for details and use them to develop their own ideas.

 

Assimilators are the type of learners who prefer lectures and other similar learning activities. In group tasks, they attempt to comprehend the different perspectives raised by their group members. When asked to write essays, assimilators would typically prefer to conduct preliminary research first before making the content of the paper. For examinations, they tend to prefer compare-contrast and argumentative questions as these would require the analysis of both side of the issue.

The preference of the assimilators to ponder on experiences or situations enables them to analyze things though various perspectives. Individuals considered as assimilators are thoughtful and take into account all possible options or angles of the situation before making a move. As they tend to collect situational data first and delay the generation of conclusions, they are often described as the cautious type. During meetings, assimilators often take the seat at the back; while people are in action, they appear to enjoy observing their movements. Whenever there is a discussion, assimilators tend to listen to others’ ideas first before formulating their own. 

 

This learning style typology is an appropriate representation of my experience in school. Specifically, the learning opportunities that I have participated in showed my features as an assimilator. Rather than insist on my own ideas, I tend to listen and observe more. By means of the ideas of others, I am able to learn the different aspects of a subject matter; in turn, this allowed me to become more open-minded and knowledgeable on certain topics. Moreover, my learning style allowed me to combine my own and other’s ideas, resulting to a generalization that I could easily understand and relate to. My ability to do research and organize facts also stresses the features of this learning style.

 

Learning Preferences

            In terms of learning environment, I find a calm and peaceful setting conducive for learning. Through this, I could easily focus on the topic or lesson being discussed. Thus, I usually stay in the library to study or a spare room at home or in school where there will be few interruptions. The classroom setting is also a conducive environment for learning. Having a facilitator helps in making the learning process more organized.

 

In addition, unclear topic areas and queries about the lesson can be addressed immediately. Students or learners in the class can also raise ideas or points relevant to the topic; this helps in broadening the knowledge about the subject. Although learning in groups is helpful, I generally prefer to learn or study by myself. In this way, I could concentrate and understand the topic more.

 

            With regards to level of assistance when learning, I prefer a set up where the assessor or facilitator can be consulted when necessary. Having someone to provide advice or help out in more difficult topics helps in making things clearer and learning more effective. In addition, consulting about other subject areas helps in preventing misconceptions and wrong learning practices. The advices that can be provided by the instructor or learning facilitator can also be useful for obtaining higher marks.

 

            In order to learn more effectively, I utilize several factors in order to motivate myself. One of which is the marks I have to obtain in order to gain a good standing in school. To encourage myself more to learn other helpful information, I train myself not to be complacent with what our instructors provide us. In order for me to obtain good grades and maintain a good average, I try to use other materials, learn from mentors and utilize various learning strategies. Through this I become more driven to constantly learn and master new things.

 

            The people that help me out in my learning process also serve as my motivators to learn. During my early years in schools, I usually consult my teachers regarding my performance in school or gain their comments or suggestions to improve my school outputs. Their advices help me to become a better learner. Classmates in college are also helpful motivators. Being able to see them studying hard or working on their school requirements encourages me to do my best as well. Schoolmates also help me out in my studies by giving me tips on how to learn better or schedule my tasks. Acquiring these tips enhance my studies, which in turn encourages me to learn more.

 

            The difficulty level of the task or lesson is also an important driver for me to learn. As topics become more challenging, I become more and more interested in learning and mastering them. Being able to learn and handle a difficult topic serves as an accomplishment, hence, an important learning motivator. Aside from the challenge involved in the learning opportunity, its personal value or significance is also an essential driver. In college, we attend to both out major and minor subjects. The major subjects are the ones focused on the fields or educational courses the students have selected; as these major subjects provide the keys to our future careers or professions, much focus is allotted to learn these subjects. I myself tend to give more effort in learning and mastering my major subjects, though I also give time to learn the minor ones. The degree of intensity to learn the major subjects however vary in some ways due to their significance.

 

            While there are several resources that support my learning process, there are also certain obstacles that hinder immediate learning success. For one thing, topics or subjects tend to vary in difficulty, thus harder subjects would have to be given more time and effort to learn. Time itself is also an obstacle to learn as much as one can; due to limited time, other learning opportunities will have to be depended on actual experiences and application. I believe learning is also restrained by the one learning and the one who teaches. A person who is not interested in the subject being discussed will not exert as much effort to learn it. In the same way, instructors who are not keen with the subject being taught will not be able to teach the students effectively.         

 

References:


Credit:ivythesis.typepad.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top