February 13, 2006

            I woke up with a slight migraine. This might be effect of not sleeping early since I sleep around two thirty in the morning while I had to wake up at seven o’clock sharp to study for an exam and to research and type my pending papers. To ease the pain, I took two tablets of Aspirin, gulped it down and headed to the computer to check my email and finish my report.

February 14, 2006.

            Valentines Day!! Well I don’t have any date so I’m not going out. Better stay at home and nurse my migraine. It seems that it my headaches worsen when I’m tired and when I spend too much time in front of the computer. I am living in my bed right now with an aching back and a stiff neck due to the poor posture while typing. Tomorrow I will arrange the layout of my computer desk to lessen my discomfort. But at last I have finished my paper!!. I’m going to pass it  tomorrow!!

February 15, 2006

            Post Valentine, I went to the drug store and bought additional aspirin tablets expecting another headache in the morning since I have an examination and I have not finished reading the chapters of the book that would be covered by the exam. I would stay late at night to read it and the aspirins would be my insurance if my occasional migraine visits me in the morning.

February 16, 2006.

            I woke up and miraculously, the migraine that I was dreading did not visit me this morning, well, lucky me, it would mean that I would feel comfortable and at ease while answering the examination.

            Just got home, I have an itchy nose!!!, I think its an allergic reaction to the dust and grime that I sniffed when I returned the book in the school library. It’s terrible!! I cant breath properly, I have a runny nose, its embarrassing, I am also sneezing frequently and I can’t stop myself!! Ah, maybe this discomfort can be remedied by an “overdose” of vitamin C. I went to the drugstore to buy vitamin C tablets then quickly went to the grocery store to buy fresh oranges to be made into a simple drink that would ease my discomfort.

             At home I prepared the fresh oranges that will be made into a simple orange juice. It’s wonderful how refreshing the natural taste of the orange flows into your mouth. I hope the next day would come with my runny nose vanished.

February 17, 2006.

            God!! My condition worsens. Its definitely a cold right now accompanied by a dry cough. Since I have no class during this day, I would just stay here in my room to nurse my cold and cough. I hope these two would just go away. I never expected that a simple dust particle can make this kind of trouble. I’m just sitting in my room right now sipping orange juice while watching T.V.

February 18, 2006.

            I was visited by a friend of mine. She asked me if I was ok and I said I am fine and doing good although I have a runny nose and a cough that seems to never end. Sarah (My friend) said that she knows a doctor that lives two blocks away from where I live. Sarah said that she would take me there so that I can see a professional doctor and have a properly prescribed medicine. (Apparently I told her that I was taking this and that kind of medicine just to cure my colds and cough). 

            The doctor’s name was Alex and she examined me using his stethoscope. He let me breath deeply then placed her stethoscope on my back listening…

After a few other test, she concluded that I am suffering from an acute allergic rhinitis. She prescribed a couple of antihistamines and told me to take the medicine when I come in contact with allergens (in my case, dust) and she also said that if my allergy disappears I should avoid sniffing or being in a place where there are large deposits of dust. Thank you Sarah!!1

February, 18, 2006.

            I woke up feeling better although I still have a running nose and a slight cough; it was an improvement when compared to my situation earlier. The medicine given by the doctor helped me!!! After two or three days, I would be free from these physical discomforts.

            The first I noticed was the truthfulness and application of the concept of sick role. In this phrase it states that there are two obligations and two rights that are enjoyed by a person who is sick. The first obligation is that the person must try to get well. In my case, I should try to get well since I cannot be absent in my classes for the coming week. The meetings that I would miss would have a big impact on my total understanding of a particular idea or concept in class.

I was also obliged to get well so that I can go out with my friends without the hassle of being weak and sick. I set my plans in motion by buying medicines in at the nearest drugstores and eating healthy and vitamin C rich foods. It would seem that I would just eat these foods when I am sick but when I am not, I can eat all I want. My second obligation to get well was also highlighted when together with my friend, I was encouraged to go to a doctor. It is right that a sick person must go to the doctor so that he/she can be checked and his/her disputation can be examined by person that is qualified. The visit to a competent medical practitioner helped the treatment of my disease. The doctors also reiterated that in order to have a successful treatment, proper medication must be observed.

            My first right when I am sick as explained b the sick role is that a patient  is exempt  in doing other chores like cleaning household since my illness is allergic Rhinitis and the prolonged exposure to these dust particles would trigger my allergy. I am also skipping other furniture inside the house to when I will be cleaning my room. Specifically I would used an facial masks that would protect my skin and  nose from minute dust particles.

            This theory also states that the sick person is not responsible for the illness and disease that a person’s acquired. This is stated because in my case there was no way I could have the ability to detect and protect myself from the dust particles that came from the bookshelves.

            During an attack of an ailment or a disease, we can see that each and every one of us are restricted in a way because each illnesses gives us discomfort and aches that are felt by the body. These illnesses and disease therefore hinders movement and actions that would be possible for a normal and healthy individual.

            During this experience, I also learned that self medication is not advisable for patients who are suffering from an illness. First self medication is not advise because the patient is not an expert in medicine and he/she cannot pinpoint and accurately diagnose what is the true ailment is just by self assessing what he/she feels or experiences. Self medication is also wrong since the patient is not knowledgeable in treating the ailment that he/she experiences. He/she cannot possibly know the advantages/disadvantages and the side effects that this drug would bring if it is ingested by a patient. Self medication can even be dangerous if the person administering the drug is incompetent or ignorant. It is important that a physician or a valid doctor must be consulted before taking any kinds of medication.



Credit:ivythesis.typepad.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top