I.                  Introduction

 

Promoting health is imperative in the daily existence of any individual. In my line of work, I am very fortunate that I have the opportunity to carry out this task on an everyday basis. Designated as a nurse in a mental ward, I deal with people of all ages who are encountering troubles with mental health. It is part of my job description to help this people prevail over their struggle with their illnesses by means of promoting particular health initiatives. Though the odds of recovery of all the people under my watch may possibly slim, I am still under the commission of helping them make the most of their life’s capabilities. This is carried out by helping each and every patient to contend with their illnesses by fostering trust and other activities that would eventually make these patients better. On the whole, promoting health in the context of my line of work is basically reflexive on my part. In addressing the needs and concerns of the patients, I am able to place their well-being in a safe and healthy status.

 

Aside from my professional life, I am also tasked with the complex commission of raising a family. Along with my wife, we work collectively to effectively raise our two kids into responsible and conscientious individuals. It is not an easy job raising children, my job at the acute ward at the mental institution stands nil compared to raising my kids. Perhaps that may be true but seeing my kids grow into individuals that is could be proud of is probably the most rewarding and satisfying thing on my account.

 

Both my professional and personal life may have contributed largely to my decision to take on this course, Promoting Health. It is basically part and parcel of my daily life, upholding everything that will eventually take care of those around me. And I consider it important to carry this out in proper and efficient fashion. This essay will discuss the different activities that I have taken in order to achieve that goal. The activities based on the module provided by the university, as well as the material given to me during the course are among the primary sources of my observations and discussions. All in all, this paper will ultimately measure my development as a health promoter and will reflect the manner on how I implement the theories I have learned in the course.  

 

II.               Determinants of Health

 

The arguments and observations taken in this part of the paper are based on the outcomes in Portfolio Activities (PA) 1 and 2. Specifically, these activities deal with my own concept of health promotion and health in general. On PA1, the definition of health promotion based on my professional and personal activities are taken into consideration. It is the unveiling of such activities, being a mental health nurse and a married father of two, which established how the course will progress based on my background. With these background noted, the professional capacity and personal faculties inherent defined what health promotion is in my context. This led to the outcomes in PA2 where the definition of health and health promotion is taken into context. With my background on mental health care, it is not surprising that the definition that I have provided is basically related to mental wellness and possible sustainability of that wellness.

 

To analyze the outcomes that came about in the said portfolio activities, my determinants of health is somewhat comparable to the superficial definition of health as having the lack of any illness or disease.(0a, p2) However, personally my definition of health rises over the shallow account of basically not feeling ill or being disease-free. Being a part of the medical profession, I view health as somewhat related to the behaviour of the individual towards his/her health and wellbeing. It is not much as the person is ill with a particular disease; I see it as the manner in which the said individual intends to be better and eventually steer clear of being ill of the same disease. In such context, the observation made has a considerable dependence on how disease is seen. It is seen as an outcome of the individual circumstances of people specifically on their material, social, and economic attributes. (, 2001, p6) This goes the same to the definition that I have given on health promotion.

 

Based on my professional and personal background, my definition of health promotion is as complex as my definition of health. Upon completing the activity, I’ve seen health promotion as a personal task to influence the behaviour of people towards the betterment of their wellbeing and health, with special reference to psychological and psychiatric attributes. Given my professional status as nurse, I realized that the promotion of health in my field is not as easy as merely going to work, caring for the patients, and heeding their needs and concerns as to maximize their potential. Promoting health in my area of practice requires what Webster and French (, 17) as a collective activity. One cannot accomplish and prevail over complex elements such as health promotion by oneself. Health promotion, as I have realized, is determined by a collective will to influence the attitude of the public towards their health.            

 

III.            Concept of Empowerment

 

The discussions related to this part of the learning outcomes are derived from Portfolio Activity 6 in the chapter regarding competence building in health promotion. Specifically, PA6 intends to present how health promotion initiatives are implemented in my present situation and relate it to what I intend to accomplish in the future. Based on the outcomes of the activity, I have established that the activities that I have been undertaking, both professional and personal, are tied up considerably with the context of health promotion. Being a nurse in a mental institution, I am tasked to promote health initiatives towards the patients as well as to their relatives. On my personal life, the safety of my family is my utmost concern. Observing such a fact made me understand the fact that I am able to carry out these activities and tie it up with the principles of health promotion because I myself am empowered by the medical knowledge I possess from my experiences and past education (refer to the definition of empowerment as described by Tones, 2001, 9). The activity made me realize that I am not satisfied on limiting my health promotion duties on both my personal and professional life. A more challenging undertaking in rather apparent in attempting to involve the community in this endeavour, I surmised. In the same way, I intend to take this by empowering them.

    

According  (2001, 9) empowered individuals, such as myself, are needed by the community to rise above “adverse circumstances.” By teaming up with other empowered individuals, we could realize what  (2003, 96) indicated as “education for radical action.” This means that by providing the proper awareness and raising the right amount of consciousness, the public will be able to take advantage the merits of health promotion. All in all, the learning outcome in this activity has taken in the form of empowering people by means of providing education, health education to be exact. Though the task may be daunting at first glance, one could not underestimate the power of information and education. With the proper medium and motivation, this might actually work. Common people and a number of other medical professionals may be empowered by this activity such that they become aware of the problems involved, the policies which govern them, and the available alternatives in which could improve the current situation. (, 2000, 85)

 

With the right amount of drive and desire to carry this out, this may perhaps trigger change in the existing policies regarding the provisions of mental health services in the country. To a certain extent, with the information made known to the public, they could create the necessary pressure to make the NHS consider improvements with regards to access to these services. Making people to participate is the primary issue to be considered.    

 

IV.           Participation and Community Development

 

Participation and development in the community setting is usually involved with the collaboration with other entities of society. This is provided in the learning outcome of Portfolio Activity 21: communities in action. As indicated in the previous discussions, something as complex as health promotion takes a lot of hands in order to effectively achieve its ultimate goals for society. The activity allowed me to realize this fact by seeing actual cases wherein collaboration between several sectors has joined forces to improve their existing situation. Cases like the Programme are examples on how things could be done by partnership and collaboration in pursuit of community development.

  

Health promotion is thus an area where individuals of different area of practices could work hand-in-hand so as to espouse principles of health promotion to the community. It takes a village. As stated by  (2001, 23) collaboration and participation of different practitioners coming from different backgrounds and fields of practice is imperative such that opportunities are seized and maximised. This is revealed in the case of ’s Centre where a very extensive chain of activities brought about the community café. In looking at the said case, it is apparent that once effective collaboration and participation among the members of the community will eventually bring about the best possible outcomes. In realizing the potential of the unused structure, empowered individuals were able to address the need for a place where the members of the community could benefit.

 

Other initiatives and programmes such as the  displayed the need for collaboration between local government authorities and health promotion campaigns so as to achieve specific goals. With the case of the , the environment which the local government prevails over has been addressed to accommodate health promotion initiatives through proper legislation. Realizing the potential of the local government and its vital role in pursuit of health promotion indicates its equally important function in the enforcement of health initiatives. (, 2001, 91)

 

V.              Communicating and Educating for Health

 

As stated in the earlier discussions, communicating and educating health empowers the individual. This outcome is triggered by Portfolio Activity 8 where a group work session took place. Being a part of the medical profession, I was able to impart several information, though somewhat limited, regarding the topics provided in the activity. In such an activity, the group was able to reach critical consciousness such that it creates institutional frameworks that will ultimately influence people to change their lifestyles inclined to healthier modes. (, 2000b, 109)

 

The key word in this discussion is “change.” Communicating what seems to be a more favourable lifestyle through health promotion could facilitate this needed change.(, 2000, 139) In the said activity, I have realized that in order to promote health, one has to possess particular skills in order to facilitate change. This observation is supported by the claim of  (2000, 152) regarding the need of counselling skills on this context. Specific skills like relationship-building, exploring and clarifying and action skills are needed in this part of the process. In trying to promote health, one must have to exercise skills in building and gaining the trust of other individuals such as to acquire their cooperation. Similarly, I have realized that exploring and clarifying in communicating for health will make me pinpoint the specific needs towards which a person requires so as to facilitate change. And eventually, I have similarly learned that the necessary skills to establish particular objectives to facilitate the actions needed for change is imperative in the process. On this plane, the goals of health promotion are eventually attained as change in behaviour comes about from the target individuals.       

 

VI.           Ethical Principles

 

More importantly, in the aspect of health promotion is the consideration of the ethical implications of the actions we are taking. This is similarly important in my case considering I am a healthcare provider. This is addressed in Portfolio Activity 34 where professional dilemmas and other ethical considerations are involved.  The relationship involving the patient and the healthcare provider has its basis in mutual trust and assurance. (, 2000, 96) The healthcare provider is bound and required, in good faith, to perform his or her duties at the level of knowledge, proficiency, and values suitable to the profession in general. This is similarly taken in the context of health promotion. Being a part of the professional healthcare providers, we are epitomized to the public as in possession of superior knowledge, merited of the conviction of the people, and obliged be decisive in the interests of patients. The bodily and mental wellbeing of the patient are dependent on the healthcare provider's competence. (, 2002, 265) The patients' receptiveness mixed with their explicable dependence on the healthcare provider to alleviate their poor health leaves the healthcare provider in a place of superiority or authority.

 

Being first and foremost a healthcare provider, I am expected to act for the best interest of the other person in the relationship; specifically the people I intend to promote health to and eventually facilitate change. Moreover, it is also assumed that in the said relationship, I must put my own several interests in “exclusion.” This means that it is only the wellbeing of the other individual that should be taken into consideration in this relationship. Being a healthcare provider, having more knowledge and expertise than that of other individuals places me in a situation where I could not misuse the position, or knowledge or opportunity resulting from it. Thus, the PA have showed me that in taking actions in hand, I still have to monitor my movements such as to stay in accordance with the prescribed norms of health promotion. There is a duty that we have to impart to others, and in carrying out those duties, a certain level of responsibility is required from health promoters like me.

 

VII.        Conclusion

 

Promoting health is profoundly ingrained in every aspect of my life, professionally and personally speaking. With the use of the modules provided by the university as well as the activities indicated in the course, the level of responsiveness on my part has improved considerably. Though there is still room left for improvement, the implications and other effects of the course have considerably led me at the appropriate direction where the theories of health promotion is applied in both my job and my family.

 

In applying the theories provided in the course, I would be able to considerably help my community more as compared to before I took the K301 course. With particular reference to my field of expertise, I would be able to promote health with regards to the mental aspect of the public. Access to mental health services may possibly not available for everyone, but mental health care and promotion is likely to be available to the public. Given my years of experience in the ward, I could provide trainings and other technical assistance to certain individuals that are similarly eager to help the public on their own way. Being in the medical field, I am also acquainted with a lot of medical personnel and medical professionals that may or may not be directly associated with mental health. Other nurses and other professionals could be tapped in such a manner that mental health promotion could be passed on to the people.

 

A seminar or a casual meeting concerning the promotion of mental health would be appropriate. With their direct contact with the public, the knowledge that I could impart to them through the brochures and other leaflets as indicated in the module may well help in maintaining the mental health of the people. Moreover, based on my experience, when people learn that someone’s line of work is connected in the medical field, they tend to ask questions regarding some peculiar feeling or twitch that they somehow feel not normal. The basic information that could be imparted to these medical professionals may possibly serve as a medium to which mental health promotion is disseminated. These professionals may serve as the concierges of the mental health services by giving basic information regarding mental health closer to the public. It is in this activity that I see myself contributing to the community. Not only did I carry out my civic duty, I am also doing my share to address the betterment my fellow individuals by promoting health in a manner connected to my area of practice. And in this manner, I could see the goals of the course ultimately realized in pursuit of the greater good. And I tend to accomplish this not solely by my own means, but with the help of the community in general.             

 

VIII.     References

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top