Reflective Diary: Five Topics on Psychology

 

Introduction

 

            Psychology is a science that has a variety of applications in the different aspects of society, including education, social involvement, economy, and employment. It has a wide variety of concepts and ideas under it, thus, making its application very useful and helpful in addressing numerous problems and crises. Two of the most commonly known aspects associated with the study of psychology are education and employment. The application of the concepts of psychology in education and employment gives this science heavy importance, such that it becomes involved in the management of academic institutions and business organizations in the industry. With the importance of psychology and all the concepts related to it, this paper presents a reflective diary regarding the five chosen topics regarding psychology.

 

            I have chosen five topics to be discussed for this reflective diary. The five topics include the ‘Introduction to Psychology’, ‘Psychology and Work’, ‘Anxieties, Defenses, and Psychological Injuries at Work’, ‘Dealing with Stress’, and ‘Positive Psychology: Happiness in Work’. In this reflective diary, I have discussed each of the topics briefly, with the emphasis of its application in the organization. I have done the reflection through citing the importance of the concepts in psychology in terms of day-to-day applications, most especially to the working environment. The practical applications of the concepts in psychology under the topics have been given emphasis with the use of my personal experiences in my employment and my working environment.

 

‘Introduction to Approaches in Psychology’    

 

            There are five approaches to psychology, namely, the Neurobiological Approach, the Behavioral Approach, the Cognitive Approach, the Psychoanalytic Approach, and the Humanistic or the Phenomenological Approach. These different approaches are being used by experts in the field of psychology to ensure that they will be able to understand and give due consideration on the uniqueness and differences of each individual in the society. I believe that these approaches are helpful in gaining the ability to make accurate predictions about the behavior and personalities of individuals. It becomes relevant in the understanding the personality and behavior of individuals, based on the influences and the activities of those individuals from childhood to adulthood. Understanding their personality and behavior would be helpful in order to determine and address the problems effectively, including knowing the attitudes, personalities and practices in order to promote a peaceful living environment. Anyone studying the field of psychology can specialize on any interesting field or perspective for application and for providing solutions in future problems and crises.

 

            Generally, these five approaches are helpful and useful in understanding and justifying the development of personalities and behaviors of individuals, such that several attributes and factors are recognized to be able to come up with solutions to the problems regarding psychology. What I like about these approaches is that I am able to classify the types of personality and behaviors of individuals, including myself, which could provide better understanding on the part of the person and on the part of their companions. I believe that the use of these approaches could help the individual understand his or herself, which could give room for improvement and development in the long run. In addition, I also like this topic because I am able to appreciate the broad application of psychology in the field of learning and human development. Moreover, being able to provide different approaches in understanding the personality and behavior of individuals could also lead one to judge them according to their limitations and incapacities, which I believe is one of the drawbacks of the application of psychology. What I dislike and what I have found to be the disadvantage of knowing these approaches is having the power to control and influence the personality and behavior of others. I think that knowing other people would be an advantage over them, most especially when they are confused with themselves and how they perceive their personality. Judging other people in terms of their personality and behavior is wrong, and I believe that judging them limits their potential to know themselves. With this, conflicts can be result. I have encountered the same situation during the course of my development as an individual, of hearing other people judge others because of their personality and behavior. I have also been judged by others and have judged others myself. I believe that doing this is inevitable. Nevertheless, this could be lessened with further understanding and interacting with other people. In my opinion, the best way to apply these approaches in practical ways is by helping other people solve their problems regarding their personality and behavior in the working environment, or even in the larger community. Because I have knowledge on this matter, I can be an instrument of knowledge to other people, and provide them the information that can be useful for them, such at the type of their personality and behavior, based on tests and examinations.

 

‘Psychology and Work: The Psychological Contract, Personality and Well Being in the Workplace’

 

            Psychology in the field of work and employment is termed applied psychology. It involves different fields, but focuses primarily on the control of the behavior of individuals or group of individuals in the workplace. Psychology in the workplace is one essential and substantial component of the management of organizations, as it gives importance to the personalities and behaviors of employees and workers that are crucial to the development and improvement of the entire organization. I believe that this aspect of psychology is important, as it enables me to understand the behavior and personality of the members of the organization in order to improve and develop the entire organization. Second, with psychology in the working environment, the company is able to retain, maintain, and attract employees in the organization. Third, the use of psychology enables the organization to conceptualize and implement development programs that would give way to the growth of employees.

 

            The application of psychology at work dictates and determines the personality and the well-being of the workplace. I believe that the application of psychology is most relevant, for it fosters effective and efficient communication among the members of the organization for sustainable development and operation. There is nothing to dislike in its application because its primary aim in the organization is for improvement and development. I find the application of psychology in the workplace as a means of developing the personality and well-being of the employees of the organization, thus, generating the same effects and implications in the workplace. However, it is inevitable in the working environment to produce conflicts, despite the implementation of strategies and programs related to psychology. Nevertheless, its application is still considered effective and relevant to the workplace.

 

            I have encountered and experienced several activities in terms of the application of psychology at the workplace, and one of them is attending employee trainings and seminars. The seminars I have attended enabled me to participate in focus group discussions and classroom-type discussions that focus on the learning of employees in terms of the proper approach in the workplace. I have also participated in games and interactive activities in the trainings, which helped develop camaraderie, teamwork and friendship with my colleagues. Basically, I have gained a lot from attending these seminars and programs, which helped me understand and give importance to the application of psychology in the workplace. Moreover, attending such seminars and development programs taught and reminded all its participants, including myself, to organize and systematize files and important documents in the workplace. With these important forms of information, I believe that any organization would have the advantage, if concepts in psychology would be applied to their operations. I also believe that I have been able to learn substantial information and techniques from these experiences, which I would be able to use in future endeavors and careers.

 

‘Anxieties, Defenses, and Psychological Injuries at Work’

 

            A relevant application of psychology at work is in terms of providing solutions to problems in relation to anxieties and injuries at work. Problems causing anxieties are related to frustrations when goal achievement is blocked, and when conflicts are aroused, especially in the workplace. This just means that there are certain aspects in the communication and teamwork among members of the workplace that are not effective and efficient enough to satisfy the needs of one another. In addition, I believe that anxieties can also arise from the lack of knowledge, expertise, skills, and satisfaction of employees. In turn, anxieties injure the personality and behavior of individuals, thus, affecting their work and performance. However, I also believe that anxieties can also serve as a driving force in strengthening the motives and redoubling our efforts to achieve a variety of activities. Anxieties, I believe, also strengthen our emotions, thus, are helpful in generating responses under control, to succeed in investing energy in the rational pursuit of our goals.

 

            Anxieties injure our performance, personality and behavior at work. In my personal experience, my extreme worries impair my abilities in terms of decision-making and rationality. Some of the work-related anxieties I have encountered include the pressure in meeting deadlines, conflicts with colleagues, conflicts with schedules, and expectations in meeting the standards of superiors. Thinking about these things most of the time injures my ability to think critically and effectively, thus, decreasing my abilities to work efficiently. With this, I believe that the relevance of psychology in this sense is the application of certain aspects and concepts is addressing defenses. My defenses include developing the combination of reactions towards the object of anxiety, which includes anger or aggression, apathy or withdrawal, and compromising reactions. Oftentimes, I result to anger, thus, further blocking and hindering any ability to make effective decisions.

 

            Moreover, I have also observed the same reactions from my colleagues and peers, especially when the cause of anxiety is a crucial activity in the workplace. However, depending on the degree of involvement, my colleagues sometimes exhibit apathy and withdrawal responses. From this, I can conclude that the application of psychology is not only recognized in terms of exhibiting defenses in terms of anxieties, but also in terms of knowing our personality, which determines the extent of our reactions and responses toward a certain situation. My own experiences tell that my personality dictates and influences my reactions and responses to certain situations, especially to anxieties. I believe that I am completely capable of generating responsible and effective responses and reactions that make me unique as an individual, thus, distinguishing me from the rest of my colleagues.

 

‘Dealing with Stress’

 

            Another relevant and specific application of psychology is addressing and dealing with the problem regarding stress, or more commonly known as stress management. With stress management, stress is systematically and scientifically dealt with, thus, addressing the causes of anxiety more manageably. Stress comes from external sources, which could produce physiological and psychological disturbances that wear and tear the body due to tension. With this, I believe that proper stress management strategies must be adopted to be able to address the problem and alleviate its negative effects.

 

            All my life, I have been subjected to different sources and causes of stress. I believe that the module was able to help me deal with stress effectively, especially in giving me advices and strategies in alleviating or lessening its negative effects. The module made me realize the importance of stress management in order for me to function effectively as an individual in the society, and as an employee in my organization. However, what I dislike about the idea of stress management is its generality, such that it provides only general strategies and techniques in addressing stress. With this, I believe that a general strategy could not be as relevant and useful in dealing with specific details and problems. Nevertheless, general advices and techniques could also be useful, if modified to suit specific situations.

 

            The use of psychology in dealing with stress also enabled me to assess and evaluate my own personality and behavior towards work. I believe that my work contributes a lot to my stress, thus, immensely affecting my responses and reactions towards certain situations. Personally, I believe that I badly need to adopt stress management strategies and techniques because stress has already affected me, both physically and mentally. Honestly, I can say that I have been suffering from extreme fatigue, nervousness, and anxiety, plus the fact that I lack to the quality time to spend with my self and my family. Too much stress has already changed me from being a jolly and positive individual, to something that I am not. I also believe that because of too much stress, I have been depriving my self from attending important occasions involving my family and my friends. In addition, changes in physical and mental activities have altered my response to work and personal activities, thus, changing the way others feel about me. I know I have not been giving them time and importance because of too much work and stress, which I think disrupts my ability to enjoy my life as an individual. I have also observed that my changes because of stress, changed the relationship I have with other people, making me too busy to talk to or hang out with. I have been too preoccupied with my work, thus, making my life dull and boring. I know with my situation, I need to adopt effective stress management techniques to improve my life and the way I treat my self. Life is just too short, and I want to make the most out of it, achieving what I want in my life and for my family, by working hard and to giving my efforts and time selflessly to my advocacy and dedication. However, I will not be able to give my all if I am too preoccupied with managing my stress-related activities. With too much stress and problems at hand, I will not have the time to enjoy my life, the way others want me to enjoy it.

 

‘Positive Psychology: Happiness in Work’

 

            The primary purpose of implementing the use of the concepts in psychology in the workplace is to facilitate and generate a positive working environment. With the application of the concepts and approaches in psychology, the working environment and atmosphere in the organization becomes pleasant, organized and systematic. Thus, with this, happiness in work is obtained. Happiness in work is related to the satisfaction of employees, such that its source comes from the different activities and aspects in employment. Satisfaction of employees depends on the compensation, type or nature of job, management, and teamwork among colleagues. All of these aspects are given importance in psychology, with the implementation of the Human Resource Management team of the organization. The Human Resource Management or HRM team of any organization is the group of people responsible for taking care and managing the needs and changes in relation to the activities of human relations. The team sustains and improves the welfare of the employees, through different employment development activities and other matters associated with it.

 

            I believe that the happiness of employees, such as my self, in the workplace is dependent upon several important points or factors. Primarily, the happiness in work depends upon an effective and efficient communication, thus, properly dissipating useful and helpful information and knowledge. An effective and efficient communication in the working environment is being facilitated with the use of different means, such as the computer, formal and informal discussions, and other forms. In my own experience, my organization has been facilitating an effective communication with us, through the Internet. Second source of happiness in work is the motivation each of us gets from the company. This gives us the drive to work hard and efficiently in the organization. Third source is the form of management and leadership of our company exhibits, with effectively and properly governs and controls us in the organization. Fourth and most important source of happiness is the compensation and incentives that each employee obtains from the company. Compensation and incentives serve as rewards for employees, thus, motivates each to work harder and better. Fifth source of happiness is the established teamwork and camaraderie among the members of the organization, which serves to build relationships that, would sustain and support one another, especially in terms of making crucial decisions in the organization. Sixth source is its improved facilities, which accommodates and promotes safety. Comfortable settings provide the employees with an advantageous area for improved and developed learning in terms of the management of the organization. Seventh and last source of happiness is the provision of healthcare, which protects and promotes the well-being and health of employees that would make us more productive and effective.

 

            In my own experience, I believe that our Human Resource Management team has been successful in implementing the approaches and concepts in psychology, being able to answer to the needs of employees. I am satisfied with the management of the HRM team, thus making me happy with my work. However, my satisfaction and happiness does not only depend on the use of the different psychological approaches mentioned, but on my own personality, response and behavior toward work. I believe that I have been able to generate positive responses toward my work, giving me the chance to improve and develop as an individual. Because of this, I am able to say that I am a productive, efficient and effective individual and employee in my organization.

 

Conclusion

 

            From the discussion above, I was able to point out that the concepts in psychology can be applied relevantly to the different fields of employment and organization. Five topics in psychology and in relation to the working environment were reflected upon in this paper, which were emphasized to be important and relevant situations in the application of psychology. The approaches in psychology emphasized the different means of understanding the personalities and behaviors of individuals that would be helpful in assessing one’s capabilities and abilities. Psychology and work are two interrelated subjects that become relevant to this reflective diary, because the relationship of both subjects determines the success of implementing the approaches for the improvement of any organization. However, psychology also becomes relevant in addressing problems regarding stress, anxieties and injuries at work, such that anyone, including my self develops work-related stress, from which psychological approaches and analysis becomes relevant. I have also pointed out that happiness in the workplace can be attained through the application of concepts and approaches in psychology. With this, I can therefore conclude that the application of the different concepts in psychology can be used in academic situations and most especially in the working environment, thus, making the science and relevant in addressing day-to-day problems and situations.

References

 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top